Functional Skills Literacy, Numeracy and ESOL Skills for Life (English for Speakers of Other Languages) provide an individual with the essential knowledge, skills and understanding of English and Maths that enables them to operate confidently, effectively and independently in the United Kingdom both professionally and socially.
Functional Skills Literacy, Numeracy and ESOL English
Improve your life and future career by taking a City and Guilds ESOL qualification at Entry 1, Entry 2, Entry 3 or Level 1. Not being able to speak and understand and use the English Language is a huge barrier to employment. All the courses include examinations which are internally assessed, internally verified and then externally verified by City and Guilds. These courses may be provided for free* under eligibility criteria.
For more information on the following qualifications please call on 0208 885 9475
Functional Skills Literacy Level 1
At 5E Ltd, the Literacy Level 1 course classes are available to students enrolled on one of our employability programmes. Learners prepare for a City & Guilds exam at the end of the course.
- spelling, punctuation and grammar
- to recognise different types of text and the reasons for the differences
- to scan and read for detail
- to recognise and use punctuation while reading to aid understanding
- nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs and how to use them
- subjects and predicates and how to make compound and complex sentences, clauses and incomplete sentences
- to write a formal letter – cover letter/ letter of complaint, a descriptive piece, an instructive piece
- to plan, draft, edit and proof read writing to check the spelling, punctuation, grammar
- to take part in a discussion
- to recognise and note down key information when listening
- what kind of information you need to give people on the telephone
By completing the Literacy Level 1 course you’ll be working towards the Certificate in Adult Literacy. This nationally-recognised qualification is equivalent to a GCSE, and will show employers that you have the English skills they’re looking for. It will boost your CV, and could help you get ahead at work.
Courses run for either 15 weeks or 6 months depending on which project you are on. At the end of the course you will have to sit a one hour City & Guilds online exam.
Functional Skills Literacy Level 2
Research shows that if you have good literacy and numeracy skills, you could earn £50,000 more during your working life than someone with poor skills. So if you’ve worked hard to improve your word skills, why not prove it to your employer with a nationally recognised Literacy Level 2 qualification that will really make your CV stand out
To get a Certificate in Adult Literacy, you’ll need to sit a short test. By exploring what you can expect in the test, this course helps you to practise your literacy skills and to build your confidence before taking the test itself. The Literacy Level 2 course is divided into two parts: “How To Do The Test” and “Practice”. “How To Do The Test” looks in detail at the types of test questions you’ll face, shows you how to complete them and explains what help there is if you get stuck.
The “Practice” section gives you the chance to have a go at some actual questions. You’ll be able to work through past tests so that, by the time you’ve finished the course, you’ll be ready and well prepared for the Literacy Level 2 test itself.
Duration: Approximately 24 weeks working at your own pace
Functional Skills Numeracy Level 1 and 2
At 5E Ltd we offer a suite of three-hour numeracy courses which can contribute to a Numeracy Level 1 and 2 qualification. Numeracy skills are important in our daily lives – these courses can improve your confidence with using numeracy in everyday activities and help you improve your maths and number skills.
The course is broken down into the following components:
- Brush up your Maths
- Fractions and Decimals
- Handling Data
- Life skills
- Prepare for your Maths Test
Duration: Courses run for either 15 weeks or 6 months depending on which project you are on. At the end of the course you will have to sit a one hour City & Guilds online exam.
Entry Level Certificate in ESOL Skills for Life (Entry 1)
The Entry 1 course is suitable for those who:
- Have a limited knowledge of English.
- Need to understand simple instructions, questions and statements
- Want to write or speak about common topics.
Entry Level Certificate in ESOL Skills for Life (Entry 2)
The Entry 2 course is suitable for those who:
- Already have some knowledge of English.
- Want to further improve understanding of statements, questions and instructions.
- Want to be able to speak with confidence to more than one person.
Entry Level Certificate in ESOL Skills for Life (Entry 3)
The Entry 3 course is suitable for those who:
- Can read basic text.
- Can communicate comfortably with people around Wish to improve writing accuracy.
- Want to confidently use the phone and communicate in different situations.
Level 1 Certificate in ESOL Skills for Life
The Level 1 course is suitable for those who:
- Are confident with English speaking, listening reading and writing.
- Need to understand and communicate less common information and discuss more varied topics.
- Want to gain the maximum amount of confidence, fluency and precision when using the English Language in all avenues of life.
Numeracy and Literacy skills are important in our daily lives – these courses can improve your confidence with using numeracy and the English language in everyday activities and help you improve your basic skills. Research shows that if you have good literacy and numeracy skills, you could earn £50,000 more during your working life than someone with poor skills. If you already have worked hard to improve your word and numeracy skills, you can still benefit from a nationally recognised qualification, proving to your potential employer your skill level and really making your CV stand out.
ESOL courses cover the basics such as understanding simple instructions, questions and statements, to talking confidently on the phone. ESOL courses are suitable for people who have a limited understanding of English. Courses usually run for approximately 15 weeks, with the student provided with their qualification at the end of their exams.
Our Functional Skills Literacy and Numeracy courses as well as ESOL may be provided for free under eligibility criteria, please contact us for more information