Literacy, Numeracy and ESOL English
Need to improve your English language skills? Not being able to speak, understand and use the English Language is a huge barrier to employment in this country. Besides work, you will have trouble keeping in touch with family, friends and communicating at home and at work. The ESOL Skills for Life qualification helps you integrate into British Society. Improve your life and future career by taking a City and Guilds ESOL qualification at Entry 1, Entry 2, Entry 3 or Level 1.
All the courses include examinations which are internally assessed, internally verified and then externally verified by City and Guilds and cover speaking, listening, reading and writing.
In addition we offer Literacy and Numeracy courses at Level 1 and 2.
You can choose one of our Literacy and Numeracy courses from the different levels offered depending on your skills and experience.
- Literacy Level 1
- Literacy Level 2
- Numeracy Level 1 and 2
- ESOL Entry 1, Entry 2, Entry 3 and Level 1
- ESOL FAQs
Literacy Level 1
At 5E Ltd, the Literacy Level 1 course classes are available to students enrolled on one of our employability programmes. Learners prepare for a City & Guilds exam at the end of the course.
- spelling, punctuation and grammar
- to recognise different types of text and the reasons for the differences
- to scan and read for detail
- to recognise and use punctuation while reading to aid understanding
- nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs and how to use them
- subjects and predicates and how to make compound and complex sentences, clauses and incomplete sentences
- to write a formal letter – cover letter/ letter of complaint, a descriptive piece, an instructive piece
- to plan, draft, edit and proof read writing to check the spelling, punctuation, grammar
- to take part in a discussion
- to recognise and note down key information when listening
- what kind of information you need to give people on the telephone
By completing the Literacy Level 1 course you’ll be working towards the Certificate in Adult Literacy. This nationally-recognised qualification is equivalent to a GCSE, and will show employers that you have the English skills they’re looking for. It will boost your CV, and could help you get ahead at work.
Courses run for either 15 weeks or 6 months depending on which project you are on. At the end of the course you will have to sit a one hour City & Guilds online exam.
Literacy Level 2
Research shows that if you have good literacy and numeracy skills, you could earn £50,000 more during your working life than someone with poor skills. So if you’ve worked hard to improve your word skills, why not prove it to your employer with a nationally recognised Literacy Level 2 qualification that will really make your CV stand out?
To get a Certificate in Adult Literacy, you’ll need to sit a short test. By exploring what you can expect in the test, this course helps you to practise your literacy skills and to build your confidence before taking the test itself.
The Literacy Level 2 course is divided into two parts: “How To Do The Test” and “Practice”. “How To Do The Test” looks in detail at the types of test questions you’ll face, shows you how to complete them and explains what help there is if you get stuck.
The “Practice” section gives you the chance to have a go at some actual questions. You’ll be able to work through past tests so that, by the time you’ve finished the course, you’ll be ready and well prepared for the Literacy Level 2 test itself.
Approximately 24 weeks working at your own pace
Numeracy Level 1 and 2
At 5E Ltd we offer a suite of three-hour numeracy courses which can contribute to a Numeracy Level 1 and 2 qualification. Numeracy skills are important in our daily lives – these courses can improve your confidence with using numeracy in everyday activities and help you improve your maths and number skills.
The course is broken down into the following components:
- Brush up your Maths
- Fractions and Decimals
- Handling Data
- Life skills
- Prepare for your Maths Test
Approximately 3 hours per course working at your own pace
Entry Level Certificate in ESOL Skills for Life (Entry 1)
The Entry 1 course is suitable for those who:
- Have a limited knowledge of English.
- Need to understand simple instructions, questions and statements.
- Want to write or speak about common topics.
Entry Level Certificate in ESOL Skills for Life (Entry 2)
The Entry 2 course is suitable for those who:
- Already have some knowledge of English.
- Want to further improve understanding of statements, questions and instructions.
- Want to be able to speak with confidence to more than one person.
Entry Level Certificate in ESOL Skills for Life (Entry 3)
The Entry 3 course is suitable for those who:
- Can read basic text.
- Can communicate comfortably with people around.
- Wish to improve writing accuracy.
- Want to confidently use the phone and communicate in different situations.
Level 1 Certificate in ESOL Skills for Life
The Level 1 course is suitable for those who:
- Are confident with English speaking, listening reading and writing.
- Need to understand and communicate less common information and discuss more varied topics.
- Want to gain the maximum amount of confidence, fluency and precision when using the English Language in all avenues of life.
What if I’m pre-entry (lower than Entry 1)?
That is not a problem. We can offer you an internal examination and an in-house certificate before you begin your Entry Level 1 course with us.
Where can I take an ESOL course?
ESOL courses are available on a per level basis at our various centres – click here to contact each centre directly
How long is the course?
The course is either 12 or 15 weeks depending on the funding allocation
What other support do you provide during my training?
Apart from improving your language skills, you will also gain employability skills such as CV writing skills, interview techniques, soft skills such as motivation and confidence building in order to help you into employment. All our tutors are able to assist you with application forms, job letters and job search. 5E Ltd offers advice and guidance sessions to help you achieve your aims and goals in employment and education.