At 5E Ltd, the Literacy Level 1 course classes are available to students enrolled on one of our employability progragrammes. Learners prepare for a City & Guilds exam at the end of the course.
- spelling, punctuation and grammar
- to recognise different types of text and the reasons for the differences
- to scan and read for detail
- to recognise and use punctuation while reading to aid understanding
- nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs and how to use them
- subjects and predicates and how to make compound and complex sentences, clauses and incomplete sentences
- to write a formal letter – cover letter/ letter of complaint, a descriptive piece, an instructive piece
- to plan, draft, edit and proof read writing to check the spelling, punctuation, grammar
- to take part in a discussion
- to recognise and note down key information when listening
- what kind of information you need to give people on the telephone
By completing the Literacy Level 1 course you’ll be working towards the Certificate in Adult Literacy. This nationally-recognised qualification is equivalent to a GCSE, and will show employers that you have the English skills they’re looking for. It will boost your CV, and could help you get ahead at work.
Courses run for either 15 weeks or 6 months depending on which project you are on. At the end of the course you will have to sit a one hour City & Guilds online exam.